The origin of our town dates to 1856, when it was known as New Benton. In 1908, it was changed to Bressler, named after one of the oldest residents.
The ever-present need for fire protection was on the minds of the residents after disastrous fires in the neighboring communities, and it was decided to form a local volunteer fire company. The company received its charter on March 30, 1920, and started out in a shed with a combination horse and hand-drawn apparatus acquired from a nearby fire company. In 1921 a one-story frame building was constructed.